The Tarlton/Pepper/KAI joint venture reached a July 2012 milestone -- substantial completion -- on construction of the
$130.5 million expansion of the historic Saint Louis Art Museum in Forest Park. Systems testing and the installation of interior finishes and works of art will continue through mid-2013 in preparation for the expanded museum's grand opening.
This expansion adds to the museum's galleries and public spaces, providing new exhibition space for its collection of more than 30,000 objects and for touring exhibitions. The addition of more than 200,000 square feet provides new galleries, public spaces and a 300-space below-grade parking garage, as well as a new, fully accessible entrance on Fine Arts Drive. A dedicated bus/group tour entrance will be located to the south of the museum, relieving ttraffic congestion from Fine Arts Drive and improving safety for the tens of thousands of school children who visit the museum every year. The expansion represents a 30 percent increase in the museum’s gallery and public space; parking is more than double its former capacity.
London-based architect David Chipperfield's design incorporates an addition to the east and south of the original 1904 Cass Gilbert-designed building, with a dark, polished concrete façade incorporating Missouri river aggregate. New galleries and public spaces feature skylights and floor-to-ceiling windows providing views from both inside and outside.
The project is LEED certified. The museum remains open to the public, as it has throughout construction. For the most up-to-date information, please visit www.slam.org.